Monday, April 25, 2011

QR Codes

As this semester progressed, I begin noticing Tweets and email messages relating to QR codes. I never heard of them before and thought that when I got time I would do some research to see what they were. I never took the time to do that until this past weekend.

While at Lowes on Saturday, I purchased a house plant and a few other much needed items. When I got home, I removed the tags from the items I had purchased and threw them in the trash. As I was throwing them away, something caught my eye. It was a QR code on the houseplant tag. Still not knowing what it was all about, I went to the computer and googled “QR codes”.

It seems these codes are the newest rage for merchants, advertisers, and professionals. QR stands for “Quick Response”. They are the equivalent of bar codes and can be scanned by an iphone app. They can also be used on business cards to capture contact information from someone and automatically enter it into your contact list. How neat is that?

The code on my plant contains information about caring for the plant and a link to a website to learn even more.

Wikipedia has some great information about these QR codes if you want to learn more about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment