Saturday, February 12, 2011

Second Life

One of our assignments this week was to create an account in the virtual world of Second Life. Being a newbie in SL, I thought I would list some pros and cons as I know it, one week in.

Pros
Cons
Interesting place
Great for meetings
Great for connectivity and engagement in  DL classes

Its huge!
Computer processor hog
Overheats my laptop
Rude people (avatars)
The unknown
Time consuming to learn
Big learning curve
Can be addicting


As you can see, I don’t know many of the good things about this program yet. I hope as the semester wears on, my opinion of this will change.
Our first class meeting in SL was challenging. However, I did get a few good laughs watching everyone’s avatar maneuver around.  The meeting also made me feel better about being in on online class. I actually was able to meet, see, and interact with my classmates.  I would like to get my avatar looking more like me. My hair is naturally curly and I can’t seem to accomplish that yet. Hopefully I’ll learn how beneficial SL is to education. Since we are having to invest so much time in learning this program, I hope it will be used in more than just this one class.

No comments:

Post a Comment